Costs to Authors - Traditional Articles
|Author Instructions||Article Types||Submission Guidelines|
|Tips for Easier Manuscript||Revised Manuscripts|| Open Access, Repositories,
and Author Rights Q&A
For articles that choose a traditional AHA copyright transfer agreement (i.e. articles that are NOT Open Access), authors are charged:
- $70 per printed page of an article to defray costs of publication or $35 per page in the case of copyedited online-only material.
Authors of papers that are accepted for publication and that exceed 6000 words will be charged for the overage. The minimum fee for papers exceeding the 6000 word maximum will be $425. Authors will be charged an additional $425 for each additional 1000 words over 6000. The usual $70 page charge will also apply. Word count will be calculated by the editorial office, using the Microsoft Word tool. Title page, abstract, references, figures legends and tables are included in the total word count.
- Expense for color reproduction of figures is based on the number of journal pages with color figures. Each journal page with a color figure(s) incurs an additional cost of $653.
(NOTE: Factors that influence figure placement: Although the publisher will try and place as many color figures on the same page as possible, figures must still conform to the journal's specifications. Figures must be sized appropriately for readability and appear in sequential order after their first mention in the article.)
- Example 1 - Article word count is 5512 and there are 6 color figures. Each figure is on a separate page. The copy-edited manuscript is 7 pages in length. Detailed methods and two color figures are included in an online supplement.
- - Page Charges = $70 * 7 pages = $490
- - Color Cost = $653 * 6 colored journal pages= $3918
- - Online Supplement = $0 (no charge)
- - Total Charge for article = $4408
- Example 2 - Article word count is 8670 and there are 6 color figures. Figures 1-3 fit on one journal page, figures 4-5 fit on one journal page, and figure 6 fits on one journal page. The copy-edited manuscript is 11 pages in length.
- - Page Charges = $70 * 11 journal pages = $770
- - Excessive Word Charge = $425 * 3 (i.e. minimum of $425, plus an additional $425 for each additional 1000 words over 6000) = $1275
- - Color Cost= $653 * 3 color journal pages = $1959
- - Total Charge for article = $4004
- Expense for replacing poor-quality art
- Expense for reprints (price lists are sent with the author's proof)
- $50 per printed page for excessive author alterations
- $100 per page for printing a correction (erratum) resulting from an author's error, after publication of the article