Implications of New Hypertension Guidelines in the United States
The American Heart Association Task Force released a scientific statement in 2007 for the treatment of hypertension in the prevention of coronary artery disease (CAD). These guidelines recommend more aggressive control of blood pressure (BP) among those at high risk for CAD: individuals with diabetes mellitus, chronic kidney disease, cardiovascular disease, congestive heart failure, or a 10-year Framingham risk score ≥10%. These individuals are advised to maintain a BP <130/80 mm Hg. We estimated the burden of uncontrolled BP among those at an increased risk of CAD using the updated task force guidelines. We used a cross-sectional analysis of National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2005–2008 participants. Participants were 24 989 adults aged 18 to 85 years. Using the old definition of hypertension (>140/90 mm Hg), 98 million (21%) Americans have hypertension. Using the updated guidelines, an additional 52 million (11%) American adults now have elevated BP requiring treatment, for a total of 150 million adults (32%). Adults with diabetes mellitus have the greatest population burden of uncontrolled BP (50.6 million), followed by adults with chronic kidney disease (43.7 million) and cardiovascular disease (43.3 million). Although individuals at a higher risk for CAD are more likely to be aware of their hypertension and to be taking antihypertension medication, they are less likely to have their BP under control. Additional efforts are needed in the treatment of elevated BP, especially among individuals with an increased risk of CAD.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- National Health and Nutrition Examination Study
- Received April 28, 2011.
- Revision received May 7, 2011.
- Accepted June 12, 2011.
- © 2011 American Heart Association, Inc.