This optional section provides an opportunity for authors to present supporting materials to the manuscript. The manuscript appears both in the print version and online, whereas Online Supplements are independent from the manuscript and appear only online. Online Supplements undergo peer review and therefore must be submitted simultaneously with original submissions.
Online Supplements may consist of any of the following, in any combination: the expanded materials and methods; additional figures and supporting information; additional tables and supporting information; and, video files.
- The guidelines below should be used for online supplements:
- Material to be published as an online only supplement should be uploaded online as either a word doc or pdf, if possible. An exception to this would be if the online supplement is a video file.
- The online supplement should have a title page with the label of ONLINE SUPPLEMENT above the title.
- The online supplement should be single-spaced.
- If citations are made in the Online Supplement, the Online Supplement must contain its own independent Reference Section with references numbered sequentially, beginning with reference 1, even if some of these references duplicate those in the print version.
- Number supplementary figures and tables as S1, S2, etc.
- Place the supplemental figure legend underneath the corresponding figure.
- When referring to online-only material in the print version of the manuscript, use the phrase "please see http://hyper.ahajournals.org."
Data Supplements appear only online and will not appear in reprints of the article. The Editorial Office is not responsible for converting files to a suitable format.
The print version of the Table of Contents of Hypertension highlights articles that contain Online Supplements by having "Data Supplement Online" typed in a box underneath the author listing.